Carefully review your contracts
Reading contracts is an important part of building a pool. Be sure you understand what you are paying for and what you will get.
Some tips for going over the contract before signing:
- Compare your quote and contract. Check off items as you go and be sure all equipment etc. is included in detail.
- Materials, cleanup, a timeline, and a payment schedule based on value of completed work should be included.
- Lien releases. Asking for lien releases for each subcontractor will help protect you if the builder fails to pay them.
- Ask questions until you understand any exclusions listed; such as soil conditions, soil removal, utilities, and access.
- Arbitration clause. An arbitration clause binds you and the builder to use arbitration to settle any disagreements.
- If you haven’t verified their license, do so right away. Get a copy of their liability insurance and workers’ compensation policies as well.
- Keep a file of the project and take photos periodically.